Kindergarten Registration for September 2012
in Abbotsford School District (No. 34)
Updated: March 13, 2012
Registration for all Kindergarten children to start in September 2012 in a District school commenced Monday, January 16, 2012.
All Kindergarten programs are full day in keeping with Ministry of Education policy. For additional information regarding Kindergarten registration, contact your neighbourhood school.
Note: To be registered for Kindergarten, children must turn 5 years of age between January 1 and December 31, 2012.
-- Not sure which school catchment area you reside in? You can check here
-- See maps for school catchments (These are pdfs; you will need to 'zoom in' or enlarge the view)
-- To view information about our elementary schools, see profiles of all Abbotsford School District elementary schools.
PROCEDURE FOR REGISTRATION OF NEW STUDENTS
To ensure the child being registered qualifies for Ministry of Education funding, the biological parents/legal guardians’ status and the biological parents/legal guardians’ residency need to be established.
Schools may register the child providing the following are established:
1. At least one biological parent/legal guardian is a Canadian Citizen by birth or naturalized (obtained citizenship) and they can support this with the following pieces of identification:
• Child’s Birth Certificate with parental information or Legal guardianship issued by court
• Plus one of the following:
- Parent’s Canadian Citizenship Card
- Parent’s Canadian Birth Certificate
- Parent’s Canadian Passport.
2. The biological parent/legal guardian can provide proof of residency. This can be in the form of:
- Mortgage document
- Rental or lease agreement
- Property Sale Agreement
- Property Tax Notice/Property Tax Assessment
- Utility bill.
You will also need to provide your child's CareCard, and your doctor's name and phone number.
3. Other required documents as determined by the school.
4. If you are the Abbotsford resident biological parent /legal guardian of the child but are not a Canadian Citizen by birth or by naturalization (obtained citizenship), you are required to report to the School District Office prior to registering your child at the schools. This includes if
- the child has attended school in the Abbotsford School District in the past;
- is coming from another school district;
- or if there is a sibling who has already been attending school in the school district
District Office location: 2790 Tims Street, Abbotsford.
Please call 604.851.4585 (International Student office) to make an appointment. They will confirm which documents you must provide. - For students from another country (outside Canada): contact Elizabeth Cho-Frede to set- up an appointment (604) 852-2366 ext.1259. And see registration letter in following link:
FRENCH IMMERSION SCHOOLS:
Register at the school.
(Two classes of Kindergarten students can be accommodated at each of the following schools)
- Centennial Park Elementary 2527 Gladwin Road 604-853-9148
- Clearbrook Elementary 3614 Clearbrook Road 604-859-5348
- Margaret Stenersen Elementary 3060 Old Clayburn Road 604-859-3151
- Sandy Hill Elementary 3836 Old Clayburn Road 604-850-7131
For additional information regarding the French Immersion Program, contact the schools listed above.
INTEGRATED ARTS SCHOOL
Abbotsford School of Integrated Arts (ASIA)
North Poplar Campus (Grades K-5),
32041 Marshall Road
• Three classes of Kindergarten students can be accommodated at ASIA North Poplar Campus. When these spots are filled, students will be placed on a wait list and will be notified when space is available.
• If you wish to register a student in grades 1-5 at the North Poplar Campus or in grades 6-12 at the Sumas Mountain Campus, the student will be placed on a wait list and you will be notified when space is available.
For more information contact Ms. Carter at 604-859-3101.
- King Traditional Elementary,
- South Poplar Traditional Elementary
- Auguston Traditional Elementary
Auguston Traditional Elementary (Grades K-5),
36367 Stephen Leacock Drive
• Auguston Traditional has a defined catchment (*) area. There are a very limited number of non-catchment spaces available.
For more information contact Mr. Bradford at 604-557-0422.
King Traditional Elementary (Grades K-5),
28776 King Road
• Three classes of Kindergarten students can be accommodated at King Traditional. When these spots are filled, students will be placed on a wait list and will be notified when space is available.
• If you wish to register a student in grades 1-5,an application may be made starting February 1st. Students will be placed on a wait list.For more information contact Ms. Wiebe at 604-857-0903.
South Poplar Traditional Elementary (Grades K-5),
32746 Huntingdon Road
• Two classes of Kindergarten students can be accommodated at South Poplar Traditional. When these spots are filled, students will be placed on a wait list and will be notified when space is available.
• If you wish to register a student in grades 1-5, an application may be made starting February 1st. The student will be placed on a wait list and you will be notified when space is available.
For more information contact Mr. Friesen at 604-853-1845.
(*) Catchment: This is the Board o Education prescribed attendance area around each school which defines which students are eligible to attend a given school.